Friday, July 27, 2007

bicycles in trains


The answer is no. You cannot bring a bicycle into a train. Not even when the handicapped gantry is big enough for the bicycle to pass through. Not even when I transport it during off peak hours. Not even when I have 10 people with me to make sure the bike doesn't cause any problem.

"So how am I going to transport a bike back home to Pasir Ris if I am buying a second hand bike from Jurong?"

It all started when I was out with Fujuyimi's friends. One of them cycled from one end of Singapore to the other because he bought a second hand bike from Pasir Ris and he stay in Jurong. I asked: " Can't you take the train?" Then we all wondered whether we have seen a bike on a train. Apparently, I was the only one who thought I have seen it before. Everybody else thinks that bicycles are not allowed on trains.

So I had to call SMRT to ask. This poor unfortunate lady was unlucky enough to have to attend to my phone call.

Me: Hi! .......... bought bike..... Jurong....... stay in Pasir Ris....... Can?
PUL: Yes you can only if you travel during off peak hours and your bicycle is a foldable one.
Me: Oh! Mine's not a foldable one. But..... gantry... big... can go through.
PUL: No, you still can't, Mdm.
Me: Why not? I'll go... off peak hours... very little people... no obstruction... I make sure... any number of people.... guard it...
PUL: No Mdm you can't unless it's a foldable bike.
Me: But... bike bought not foldable kind... Don't expect me to ride from Jurong to Pasir Ris right?
PUL: Sorry you can't.
Me: But you allow luggages ....in... right?
PUL: Yes, luggages can. But only 1 piece per passanger and there are designated areas to put the luggage.
Me: You've got to be kidding. I see so many foreigners carrying more than 1 piece of luggage around. So Why not? *whine*
PUL: MDM, you can't bring a bike into the train unless it's a foldable bike and you do it during off peak hours.
Me: Then how? *WHINE*
PUL: *Pause* You can try taking a cab, Mdm

At this point in time, I started laughing in a way that probabaly made her sound stupid. Very mean of me, sorry la. I was just thinking if a bike can't go into the big train then you mean the cab people will allow it into their tiny cab meh? Ok, so maybe the bicycle can go into the boot, the roof or hang at the back of the cab but that's not the point.

Why lidat?

I dunno whether the lady is more unfortunate or we poor peasants are more unfortunate. And SMRT better not let me catch tourists with more than one luggage in the MRT but that will be so easy.


Update 12 Aug 07
Ahhh.... Looks like the solution is to just dismantle the bike! As seen here.

0 comments: